FAQs for Family & Friends
- What does the COVID-19 Delta Variant mean for me and my family?
- While cities and states have been opening up this summer, COVID-19 cases are rising due to the Delta variant. The Delta variant is a type of COVID-19 that spreads more easily and is more dangerous. More and more children are testing positive for COVID-19 and some children have died from COVID-19. It’s more important than Read More
- What are the benefits of family planning?
- Family planning helps a woman choose when to have a baby (or not to have one at all). This can be done many ways, but some common options are birth control methods such as pills and IUDs. Even common items such as condoms are a form of family planning because they help you to not Read More
- How can I keep my baby safe as COVID-19 restrictions loosen?
- As more people get the COVID-19 vaccine and COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted across the country, it is still important to be careful when taking your baby into public spaces. All COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan have officially been lifted on June 22, so here are some things to keep in mind to protect your family. Read More
- I’m Pregnant, How Can I Get Health Insurance?
- When you are pregnant, you may go to your healthcare provider more often than usual to make sure you and your baby are healthy. Health insurance (also referred to as a health plan or health coverage) can help pay for this care so that you do not need to pay the entire cost out of Read More
- I don’t always have transportation. How am I supposed to get to my prenatal care appointments?
- Not having reliable access to a car, bus, or other form of transportation can make it harder to get to your healthcare provider throughout pregnancy. There are many free transportation resources in Detroit, even during COVID-19. Additionally, WIN Network: Detroit has more remote offerings to make sure you can receive care. Resources in Detroit Cars: Read More
- Can I Develop Diabetes While Pregnant?
- Diabetes is a chronic disease that develops when your blood sugar (blood glucose) levels are too high. If you are pregnant, you can develop gestational diabetes (gestational means the time when you are pregnant). About 7 in 100 pregnant women will get gestational diabetes. Even though it usually goes away once a woman is no Read More
- What is a Community Health Worker?
- We talk a lot about Community Health Workers, or CHWs. In our group prenatal care program, we use CHWs to co-facilitate group sessions along with Certified Nurse Midwives. So exactly what are Community Health Workers? Community Health Workers are dynamic, frontline public health workers who have a very close understanding of and relationship with the Read More
- Where can I find free events for my kids and family in Detroit?
- We’ll let you in on a valuable secret! On the website, Commonwealth you will find tons of events and resources around the Detroit area! We love using this site to find resources to send out to our moms and families, and you can use it too! Click the “search” tab at the top of the page and Read More
- Senior Volunteering
- Dear Winnie, My name is Geraldine and I would like to find help for people. What can I do ? I am a senior. Hi Geraldine, It’s amazing that you want to help people. Find what you are passionate about and volunteer in that area. Many organizations need seniors with wisdom to share: Volunteer Read More