FAQs for Family & Friends
- I’m Pregnant, How Can I Get Health Insurance?
- When you are pregnant, you may go to your healthcare provider more often than usual to make sure you and your baby are healthy. Health insurance (also referred to as a health plan or health coverage) can help pay for this care so that you do not need to pay the entire cost out of Read More
- I don’t always have transportation. How am I supposed to get to my prenatal care appointments?
- Not having reliable access to a car, bus, or other form of transportation can make it harder to get to your healthcare provider throughout pregnancy. There are many free transportation resources in Detroit, even during COVID-19. Additionally, WIN Network: Detroit has more remote offerings to make sure you can receive care. Resources in Detroit Cars: Read More
- Can I Develop Diabetes While Pregnant?
- Diabetes is a chronic disease that develops when your blood sugar (blood glucose) levels are too high. If you are pregnant, you can develop gestational diabetes (gestational means the time when you are pregnant). About 7 in 100 pregnant women will get gestational diabetes. Even though it usually goes away once a woman is no Read More
- What is a Community Health Worker?
- We talk a lot about Community Health Workers, or CHWs. In our group prenatal care program, we use CHWs to co-facilitate group sessions along with Certified Nurse Midwives. So exactly what are Community Health Workers? Community Health Workers are dynamic, frontline public health workers who have a very close understanding of and relationship with the Read More
- Where can I find free events for my kids and family in Detroit?
- We’ll let you in on a valuable secret! On the website, Commonwealth you will find tons of events and resources around the Detroit area! We love using this site to find resources to send out to our moms and families, and you can use it too! Click the “search” tab at the top of the page and Read More
- Senior Volunteering
- Dear Winnie, My name is Geraldine and I would like to find help for people. What can I do ? I am a senior. Hi Geraldine, It’s amazing that you want to help people. Find what you are passionate about and volunteer in that area. Many organizations need seniors with wisdom to share: Volunteer Read More
- Planning for the Future
- Hey Winnie…How Do I Start Planning For My Future? Setting Goals When you are young, it can be hard to think about your future. But as you know, the future catches up with us pretty quickly. Help the young women in your life to prepare for what lies ahead. Talk to her about her plans Read More