- What is a Community Health Worker?
- We talk a lot about Community Health Workers, or CHWs. In our group prenatal care program, we use CHWs to co-facilitate group sessions along with Certified Nurse Midwives. So exactly what are Community Health Workers? Community Health Workers are dynamic, frontline public health workers who have a very close understanding of and relationship with the Read More
- What is HPV and how can I prevent it?
- HPV stands for human papillomavirus, and it’s a group of many different viruses that can be transmitted through sexual activity. Some types of HPV cause genital warts (similar, but not the exact same thing, as genital herpes), and other types can lead to cancer. Both men and women can get HPV, and can get cancer caused Read More
- Is it safe to get the flu shot while I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
- The flu shot is safe, even to get while pregnant or while you are breastfeeding. Getting the flu shot while pregnant helps prevent complications that can endanger you and your baby. If you get the flu while pregnant, your baby will be at a greater risk of developing birth defects, and the flu shot can Read More
- Where can I find free events for my kids and family in Detroit?
- We’ll let you in on a valuable secret! On the website, Commonwealth you will find tons of events and resources around the Detroit area! We love using this site to find resources to send out to our moms and families, and you can use it too! Click the “search” tab at the top of the page and Read More
- What is group prenatal care?
- In April 2016, WIN Network: Detroit started offering group prenatal care to our moms and families. So what is group prenatal care? Group prenatal care is just what it sounds like – you, and other women who are also pregnant and due to deliver around the same time, get together in a group to get Read More
- How long are you supposed to wait in between having babies?
- It is recommended that you wait at least 18 months in between each pregnancy. This means after you give birth, wait one and a half years to get pregnant again. This gives your body time to heal from a previous pregnancy before having another. It also gives you and your family time to bond with Read More
- Is a pap smear also an STI test?
- Dear Winnie, Is a pap smear a test that also tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)? That is a great question, and one a lot of people don’t know the answer to! A pap smear, or pap test, is a screening for cervical cancer. It tests whether the cells of your cervix are normal Read More
- Can my baby sleep safely in a play pen instead of a crib?
- Dear Winnie, I am due to have my baby soon but I don’t have a crib. I have a play pen that my sister gave me. Can my baby sleep in that or do I need to get a crib too? Good news! Your baby can definitely sleep safely in a play pen if you Read More
- Is it a good idea to schedule a C-section, so I can be more prepared for birth?
- Great question! If your pregnancy and baby are healthy and don’t have complications, you should wait for labor to begin naturally. Scheduling a C-section can seem like a good option because it takes away the worry of going into labor when you least expect it, but your baby needs every minute he or she can get inside Read More