FAQs for Young Women
- Where can I find free events for my kids and family in Detroit?
- We’ll let you in on a valuable secret! On the website, Commonwealth you will find tons of events and resources around the Detroit area! We love using this site to find resources to send out to our moms and families, and you can use it too! Click the “search” tab at the top of the page and Read More
- What is group prenatal care?
- In April 2016, WIN Network: Detroit started offering group prenatal care to our moms and families. So what is group prenatal care? Group prenatal care is just what it sounds like – you, and other women who are also pregnant and due to deliver around the same time, get together in a group to get Read More
- How long are you supposed to wait in between having babies?
- It is recommended that you wait at least 18 months in between each pregnancy. This means after you give birth, wait one and a half years to get pregnant again. This gives your body time to heal from a previous pregnancy before having another. It also gives you and your family time to bond with Read More
- Is a pap smear also an STI test?
- Dear Winnie, Is a pap smear a test that also tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)? That is a great question, and one a lot of people don’t know the answer to! A pap smear, or pap test, is a screening for cervical cancer. It tests whether the cells of your cervix are normal Read More
- Homeless Daughter in Need of Housing
- Dear Winnie, I have a 24-year-old daughter who has 2 kids ages 2 and 1. I put her out of the house three times because she’s disrespectful. The last straw was when we had fight. She’s been put out of every shelter she’s been in. Now she’s back at my house. I really don’t want Read More
- Planning for the Future
- Hey Winnie…How Do I Start Planning For My Future? Setting Goals When you are young, it can be hard to think about your future. But as you know, the future catches up with us pretty quickly. Help the young women in your life to prepare for what lies ahead. Talk to her about her plans Read More
- Safe Sex
- Winnie, What is Safe Sex? You’re in the moment and things are getting hot, but that’s not the time to throw caution to the wind! Having safe sex means protecting yourself and your partner from an unplanned pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, or sexually transmitted infections (STIs, also known as STDs or sexually transmitted diseases). Stay safe by Read More