You have a feel for what a young mom should worry about and what is normal. You may have raised a few young ones of your own. Knowing what it’s like to be short on time and tight on money, going to the doctor might seem like a waste. But her doctor’s visits are one of the most important things that she can do to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.
Some health problems don’t have symptoms so she may not even know something is wrong. If the young woman is pregnant, the doctor can make sure she is getting the right prenatal care. Getting a doctor’s care during pregnancy can lower the chances of something going wrong with the pregnancy or delivery, making sure there is one more, healthy child in both of your lives.
How can you help?
- Talk to her. Talk to the young women in your life about things that she can do now to make sure she is healthy before she gets pregnant. Encourage her to take Folic Acid supplements and eat a healthy diet including fruits and vegetables, lean meats and low fat foods.
- Offer to go to doctor’s visits with her. It can be easier to go when you have someone you care about with you. She’ll appreciate the support. You can help her remember what is said at the visit.
- Try to follow the doctor’s advice. You may not agree with everything the doctor says. But remember, both you and the doctor want what is best for the young woman and her baby. You are on the same team. Try to support your loved one to do what the doctor says. Their advice is not meant to make life harder, it’s to protect the women and keep them strong and healthy.
- Help her prepare. If you can’t go to the visit with her, you can help the young women prepare for the visit. Go over any questions she may have for the doctor and write them down so she won’t forget. Get together any medications or test results that she needs to take with her. This way she can get the most out of her appointment.
- Connect her to resources. There are a lot of programs in Detroit to help women get free family planning, prenatal, and child care. You can help her by telling the young women about these programs and helping to fill out applications. If you aren’t sure what programs are available, let us help you. You can call WIN Network: Detroit at 313-874-4581 and we can work to connect the woman to the right resources.